Pages

Sunday 15 July 2012

Meals Before Full Council

Three years ago I supported the abolition of free meals for councillors before full council and other evening meetings as part of cost saving measures.

On Friday, front page news on the Southend Echo was the story was that a free two course meal for councillors and officers would be trailed before Full Council this Thursday, following a meeting of the leaders of all four political parties to try and get us 'to mingle more easily'.

I take the view that a meal provision should be made available but if councillors want a meal then they should pay for it but am happy for a meal to be provided to officers who have already done a full days work, although many that I have spoken to feel that officers should also pay as well. I am happy to place on reord that I will not be sitting down to eat the meal on offer.

No comments: