Pages

Tuesday 31 July 2012

A Once in a Lifetime Experience not to be missed

Now the blisters have subsided and my feet have just about recovered from all the walking I thought I would post about my exploits at day's one and two at the Olympics. Whilst I wasn't successful in obtaining tickets for the big three events of Swimming, Athletics and Cycling I was fortunate to get tickets to see some of my favourite Olympic sports of Hockey, Weightlifting and Boxing

Although it was on a much smaller scale, I got a taster of these fantastic spectator sports at the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester. Weightlifting was by far my favourite sport and again didn't disappoint with a new world record set in the Clean & Jerk and a new overall Olympic Record set by the lifter from Kazakhstan in the Women's 53kg event. Weightlifting is very underrated and televised coverage of this sport does not do it justice.

First up on day one was the Tennis as the Olympics arrived at Wimbledon. Quite what the traditionalists made of the coloured  clothing, the purple backdrops and the music bellowing from Centre Court between matches I do not know, but it did have a distinctive feel from the annual grand slam event.

Despite the heavy downpour and the absolute soaking, the Riverside Arena, albeit a temporary venue,  offers fantastic views of the Olympic Park and across London. Of the two matches I was lucky to witness New Zealand beat Australia for the first time in Women's Olympic Hockey. I was also treated to a master class by reigning Olympic champions the Netherlands as they defeated Belgium.

I have always been a fan of Boxing and have attended many bouts but with amateur Boxing there is a distinct difference as boxers are penalised if they do not punch. There was a great win for Josh Taylor  in the men's Lightweight category. It will be interesting to see if Josh progresses further in the competition.

I am lucky to be at the Handball tomorrow afternoon and at the Basketball on Thursday. I will keep you posted on my Olympic exploits later in the week.

No comments: