Pages

Friday 19 March 2010

Social Media & Elections

I attended an excellent training session yesterday evening on the topic of safegarding children. It was during my time of being a councillor one of the most enjoyable and thought provoking sessions that I have attended.

One particular issue that was heavily debated was the use of social media and how this may have consequences for child protection.

As it is currently topical the role of social networking sites like facebook was heavily discussed. The facilitator took the view that as soon as this site was banned the better.

As a user of sites like facebook and twitter I asked the question if there have been any studies which has produced evidence that sites like facebook and twitter have made children less safe. Intrestingly, the facilator said no there had not.

I do believe that banning such sites is a knee-jerk reaction. There can be some good from these sites e.g. it prevented the X-Factor winner from gaining number 1 spot last Christmas, helped save a young man's life when 14,000 people donated a rare type of blood to keep him alive and has got the nation communicating. All positive aspects which never get reported.

Children get bulllied by email, text messaging and sadly on occasions in schools, but in todays age would anybody suggest banning these? I thought not.

The use of social networking sites has actually seen an increase in young people becoming politically active that is why all parties embrace it and will change the way in which future elections will be conducted.

Every death of a child is one death to many and rightly everything that can be done to protect children needs to be explored.

I also made the point that it was impossible and wrong for the authorities to police the internet in such a way we can only access information which they deem fit.

It needs greater parential responsibility to ensure that controls are placed on websites which they do not want their children to access.

I guess some people may come to the view that social networking sites should be banned but it seems that Cllr Assenheim sensing a passing bandwagon though my views were of a nature that I should resign as Chairman of Children & Lifelong Learning.

In short my answer: Get a grip and dream on!

1 comment:

MarkS said...

I don't see how anyone can suggest that a website such as Facebook should be 'banned'...how can you ban a website? I'd be interested to know which other websites should be 'banned'!!!