Pages

Tuesday 5 June 2012

Live Streaming of Council Meetings Moves a Step Closer

I would have liked to have posted on this subject last week but due to the sudden death of a relative and assisting in the organisation of the funeral, much of my time and mind has been somewhat preoccupied just of late.

I was delighted to read in the Southend Echo last Wednesday that the leader of the Council has asked the Chief Executive to cost up a workable scheme. Whilst the idea is still in its infancy, I remain hopeful that this idea will become a reality.

I have publicly called for this measure since March as I thought the budget debate and subsequent rowing back from those who supported it deserved a wider audience and would stop councillors making promises that they can not keep It will also make politics more accessible to people who cannot go to the council meetings due to having children or being disabled or elderly. With the technology available at relatively low start up costs this seems a natural extension to local democracy.   

No comments: