Pages

Thursday 20 September 2012

Political Identity

From time to time, most political parties go through a re branding exercise which sometimes includes the changing of the logo.

In the not to distant past my own party changed the logo from the Freedom Torch to the Conservative Tree. Whilst I have a personal preference for the torch I am rather ambivalent when it comes to the tree and it may just well be that I have got used to it over the years. It was interesting to read that the latest party to go through this process is UKIP who are looking to axe their poundland logo.

A change of logo may even persuade the UKIP candidate in West Shoebury to use it on a future ballot paper, although I would suspect the absence of the UKIP logo on the ballot paper may well be due to the fact he was trying to deceive residents in thinking that he was part of the local Southend Independent Party rather than dissatisfaction with the current UKIP logo.

Evidence suggests that I may not be far off the mark following an 'electoral pact' just before the 2011 local elections, the leaflet distributed to residents this year claiming that he had been asked to stand for the local Independent Party and received the backing from their 'leadership' and the rather candid post from a local Independent Party blogger. Call me cynic, but I am sure an explanation will try to be given for this coincidence.

No comments: