Pages

Friday 21 September 2012

Beach Huts Association Meeting

Last week I had the pleasure of attending a meeting of the Beach Huts Association. The main item on the agenda was the proposed flood defences for Shoebury Common Beach.

I was under no illusions when I accepted the invitation to attend that it had the potential to be very hostile due to the recent coverage. It would have been easy for me to decline the invitation, maybe to easy, but those who know me know that I will not shy away from the opportunity to express my views and beliefs.

I have found over the course of years that residents have more respect for you by being open and transparent, leaving no ambiguity to your views and never promising more than you can deliver.

I have always been a supporter of Beach Huts at Shoebury Common and despite some fierce criticism have supported their return to East Beach. Whilst some Beach Hut Owners who belong to the Beach Hut Association advocate doing nothing I was pleased that this wasn’t the overall position of the Association although quite clearly do not collectively support the preferred scheme.

I have been crystal clear on my position in that as an elected member I have a duty to ensure that measures are taken which protect residents homes and lives with the caveat that any improvements are in keeping with the character of the area. It is for this reason and because I support the Beach Huts why I would never support the option of just raising the existing sea wall.

Despite the scepticism in some quarters, the preferred option of an embankment, is far from a done deal as it is still subject to Environment Agency funding and requires full planning permission.

I had the chance to reiterate my thoughts on the preferred scheme in that if it were to go ahead I would like to see the flood gate go round the back of Uncle Tom’s Cabin and not in front and the issue of improved lighting and potential vandalism to the Beach Huts needs to be addressed. I also in no shape or form would support the soil from the Cliffs Slip being stored at Shoebury Common before any works commence.

I was also pleased to re-confirm that I had secured an additional public meeting to be held in Shoebury as part of the formal consultation if and when a planning application is submitted.

It was interesting as I made these comments on the night as one gentleman did comment that it is a shame that there were not more people like me on the council and that all decisions are taken behind closed doors by the cabinet, although he did remain quiet for the remainder of the meeting when I pointed out that I was a member of the cabinet!

Whilst the project to improve the flood defences is still in its infancy and whatever peoples views are I just hope that they base their arguments on fact rather than what they have read in a library.

No comments: