Pages

Saturday 19 May 2012

Weekly West Shoebury Review

In the second of my weekly reviews it has another busy week in West Shoebury. The week started off with some excellent news that Shoebury Common and East Beach retained their Blue Flag status. This follows the news last week that both beaches were awarded the Gold Standard by the Good Beach Guide.

Last week I mentioned that I was looking into a suggestion of a letter being sent to residents in West Road, Ness Road, St Andrews Road and Richmond Avenue to remind them to clear up after their dogs. After making some enquires the good news is that this is possible and these will be delivered to residents shortly.

I also had the pleasure in attending the Shoebury Residents Association. There was a huge turnout which I suspect was down to the press coverage on the proposed Flood Defence works at Shoebury Common Beach.Those who are on the statuary consultee list have received a scoping document outlining why improvements to the flood defences are necessary and where they start and finish. At this stage no actual designs are proposed and will be subject to full consultation although it outlines which materials are required.

I was disappointed with some of the comments made in the press this week by the Independent Party councillors in Shoebuyness ward as the materials which would be required for the works would be available from the spoil on the Cliffs Stablisation works which will be undertaken later on this year meaning that the flood defence works could be brought forward seven years.

What I find bizarre is that they have wrongly accused the council of wasting money over the years but find it acceptable to spend £100,000's to dispose of the spoil and then spend £100,000's buying the same material to do the works in the future. In the line of work that I do as an Emergency Planner assisting in the response to major incidents including flooding I have seen first hand the devastation that flooding causes and I am sure there are a number of residents that live in Shoeburyness can still remember the 1953 floods. These works are essential and I have no intention of playing politics with the Shoeburyness Independent Party when it comes to Shoebury residents homes and lives.

After the meeting I was congratulated by some residents on the stance that I took on the flood defence works which is always nice and rewarding. I was also asked by some residents what my views were regarding the "Boris Island" Airport in the Estuary and was happy to reiterate my opposition to any such scheme.

I was also asked if I could assist with some minor traffic and parking issues in Pentland Avenue and Linton Road which I am looking into.

No comments: