Pages

Friday 5 August 2011

City Beach Accident

Apologies to all of you that follow this blog that blogging has been a bit light recently but some recent home DIY has taken up much of my free time over the past month.
Whilst blogging has taken a bit of a back seat, I have added a new feature to this site which gives an indication of some of the work that I and the West Shoebury Action Team have done in West Shoebury since I was first elected as a councillor in 2006.

When I first set up this blog, I pledged that I would not shy away from talking about and giving my own personal opinions on the biggest issues both locally and nationally.

Since the last round of local elections in May, I was privileged to be asked to be the portfolio holder for Transport in addition to the responsibilities that I already had for Public Protection and Waste. One thing that I have quickly learnt is that roads and parking is probably the single issue that raises emotions and feelings in people. Yesterday was no exception especially after the incident at City Beach where a 6 year old boy was involved in an accident with one of the new council CCTV cars.

There have been numerous comments made on the ECHO website forums about this incident and also dominates 3 pages in today’s edition and also the main subject of the papers leader column.

Following an investigation yesterday’s accident is exactly what it was – an accident, which could have happened to any car in any road in this town. It is impossible to mitigate against the risk of a young, unaccompanied child suddenly running across a road into the path of traffic without looking. This was a very unfortunate accident and my thoughts go out to this young boy and I wish him a speedy recovery.

I also believe the 20mph speed limit in force on Marine Parade almost certainly prevented the boy’s injuries from being even more serious and potentially saved his life.

I would also like to wish the driver of the CCTV car a speedy recovery as he was naturally shaken by the incident as anyone would be.

No comments: