Pages

Friday 17 June 2011

Democracy in Action

Since gaining Transport as part of my portfolio, I have quickly learnt that resident parking schemes are an emotive subject for many.

As the portfolio holder for Transport, one of my duties is to chair the Traffic & Parking Working Party. To help resident engagement in the political process, I decided to move the meeting from a traditional 14:00 start to 18:00.

Last week was my first Traffic & Parking Working Party meeting and residents responded by turning up in their droves - probably the largest turnout from residents that I have seen at a Council meeting in my five years as a councillor.

I think that the residents who attended were pleasently surprised that they could engage in the debate if parking proposals affected them in their roads and that decisions were taken taking into account all the residents feelings when they responded to the consultation.

Curiously though, Independent Party councillor for Thorpe Ward had difficulity understanding what a consultation was. This wasn't missed by the residents who attended. 

No comments: